[PLUG] First Tech Credit Union "microsoftens" web interface

David Fetter david.fetter at fetterconsulting.com
Wed May 3 16:50:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 06:33 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2006, Eli Stair wrote:
>
> > I have to say if I had the scenario you're seeing I'd make the stink and
> > switch financial institutions. Nothing speaks louder than losing customers
> > (as long as you let them know), IMO.
>
> /eli,
>
>    Don't get your hopes up too high on this point. Several years ago, Wells
> Fargo purchased First Interstate Bank. They closed all the small agricultural
> loan branches throughout the western US and forced farmers who had dealt with
> their local bankers for decades to call Minneapolis (or some other central
> office) for planting loans. They lost 1/3 of all their accounts. It took them
> four years to realize that they had lost customers, and started a campaign to
> woo them back. Too late. Farmers and growers like to deal with people they
> know, and who know them, on a face-to-face basis.
>
>    As companies grow larger they loose touch with the people who keep them in
> business.

Actually, as companies grow larger they just loose touch with people.
The human aspect of business is albeit lost in most large companies it
seems.  That's why I try to only deal with the little folks.  ;-)  Btw,
I took a gander at your business, Rich, and I like the concept.  Keep up
the good work.  :-)

As far as the 1st Tech web interface, I use OpenSuSE and I don't seem to
have any issues.  However, this is not to say that there isn't some
problems.  I'm finding that it seems the concept of testing the web
interface against multiple browser types as part of web design is not
being properly adhered too anymore.  There seems to be an epidemic of
such lack of attention to detail in this regards all over lately.  I
find that many sites are broken on one browser yet they work with
others.  It's really too bad, in my opinion.

--
David M. Fetter - http://www.fetterconsulting.com/
"The world is full of power and energy and a person can go far by just