[PLUG] First Tech Credit Union "microsoftens" web interface

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Wed May 3 18:05:33 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, John Purser <jmpurser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 May 2006 08:57:19 -0700
> "Eli Stair" <eli.stair at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No idea about the specifics of this case, but the motivator is common
> > across the board:  Money.
> >
> Well, let's not underestimate the roles bone headed stupidity,
> confounding ignorance, and utterly peter principle defying incompetence
> play in these little dramas.  Some days I think that trio accounts for
> more casualties on the fields of tranquility and common sense than do
> all other actors.

  Never... and I do mean *never* underestimate the stupidity of an
ol'school IT manager.  I recently worked for one that tried to hire a
.Net job shop to create a Web GUI for a Linux server app.  That's
right!  A .Net server dedicated to configuring and controlling a Linux
server.  It also would have required IE on the client side to support
the ActiveX controls.

  The sales guy for the programming shop was one slick mo-fo.  He had
all the managers thinking this was a great idea.  I barely managed to
kill the project...

  I suspect the 1st Tech managers had no idea they were purchasing an
IE specific app.  The purchasing manager may not understand anything
about the underlying technology.  It's all magic to the uninformed.

Steve D...

--
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities
has the power to make you commit injustices.