[PLUG] First Tech Credit Union "microsoftens" web interface

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed May 3 18:20:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Steve D... wrote:

> On 5/3/06, John Purser <jmpurser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 May 2006 08:57:19 -0700
>> "Eli Stair" <eli.stair at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > No idea about the specifics of this case, but the motivator is common
>> > across the board:  Money.
>> >
>> Well, let's not underestimate the roles bone headed stupidity,
>> confounding ignorance, and utterly peter principle defying incompetence
>> play in these little dramas.  Some days I think that trio accounts for
>> more casualties on the fields of tranquility and common sense than do
>> all other actors.
>
> Never... and I do mean *never* underestimate the stupidity of an
> ol'school IT manager.  I recently worked for one that tried to hire a
> .Net job shop to create a Web GUI for a Linux server app.  That's
> right!  A .Net server dedicated to configuring and controlling a Linux
> server.  It also would have required IE on the client side to support
> the ActiveX controls.
>
> The sales guy for the programming shop was one slick mo-fo.  He had
> all the managers thinking this was a great idea.  I barely managed to
> kill the project...
>
> I suspect the 1st Tech managers had no idea they were purchasing an
> IE specific app.  The purchasing manager may not understand anything
> about the underlying technology.  It's all magic to the uninformed.

Anything else would not be "buzzword complient".

Every so often there is a fad in web design that everyone MUST have.  Why?
Because the ads command you!  Without it your web site is not "cool".

It does not matter how stupid or useless it is, if it is a Buzzword
complient technology, it has to get installed.

.Nyet and AJAX are two of the current buzzword complient technologies
being pushed.  (And Microsoft is making it seem like you need .Nyet to get
AJAX, even though their AJAX component breaks pretty much every web
standard it touches.)

You have to remember that whatis useful or works has no part in corporate
web design.  It has to do with what the CIO/CEO/CFO/CYA/EIEIO can brag
about when he meets with all the other clueless TLAs.

"But what does it DO?" - statement never heard in web design review

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis