[PLUG] VMware Guest OS Hangup

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat May 6 00:05:14 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   When I upgraded my VMware to 5.0 (and now 5.5), I lost the ability to
> share
> files between the host linux network and the guest win98se2.
<...>
> /etc/samba/smb.conf includes:
>
> ; share name -- modified by RBS 2004-09-22
> [winstuff]
>    comment = Shared directory for group vmwin98
>    path = /data2/winstuff
>    writable = yes
>    valid users  = @vmwin98
>    locking = yes
>    create mode = 0660
>    directory mode = 0770
>
>   However, when I try to 'map network drive' from within the virtual
> win98's
> drive e:\, the default path '\\salmo\winstuff' returns 'not found.' I think
> there must be a way to define the new path properly, but I don't know what
> that is. When I've tried to specify the path as '\\salmo\data2\winstuff'
> I'm
> told that's not valid because it could not be found.

I don't know if this will be of any help, but here is my simple
smb.conf: (the machine's name is NEC)
[global]
    workgroup = House
    security = share

; provide access to /tmp directory
[tmp]
    comment = temporary file space
    path =  /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

; provide access to /home/public directory
[public]
    comment =  public directory under /home
    path -  /home/public
    read only = no
    public = yes

When I run Map Network Drive I see \\NEC\public in the dropdown list. I
also see \\NEC, but I get an error message if I try to map it:

    The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    correctly, and try again.

I don't see \\NEC\tmp. I don't use Map Network Drive, but have never had
any trouble getting what I want from NEC through Windows Explorer on my
Win98 machines, or using Konqueror from this SuSE 9.1 machine.

Can you see the directory using Windows Explorer? I can see NEC with two
top level folders under it, public and tmp, in the folders list. I don't
know why I don't see tmp in the Map Network Drive list.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens