[PLUG] Transfer from thumb drive to Windows computer

Jon Scully jonscully at gmail.com
Sun May 7 18:23:45 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 May 2006 14:36:18 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
> > This is not making any sense at all. What eldritch stuff did Microsoft
> > do here?
>
> Just now it occurred to me to try additional files. So I placed a couple
> more random files on the thumb drive from the Ubuntu laptop and moved it to
> my Windows desktop. Windows still couldn't see anything but reglog.txt.
> And while it was on the Windows desktop I copied several random files to it
> from the Windows desktop, then moved it back to the Ubuntu laptop. Ubuntu
> still can't see reglog.txt, nor can it see any of the the files I put on
> it when it was on the Windows desktop.
>
> Now I have a clearer picture of the problem - both computers can see files
> they placed on the thumb drive, but neither can see files placed there by
> the other OS. I still don't understand why this is happening. It's just
> FAT32. I don't think FAT32 can handle permissions, so that shouldn't be an
> issue. "Show hidden files" is enabled in Windows Explorer and in all the
> file managers I have on Linux.
>
> All of the files on the thumb drive are just copies, therefore expendable.
> I'm thinking about just reformatting it. It's /dev/sda and the partition is
> sda1. I googled for the command and I think it would be sudo mkfs, but when
> I looked at man mkfs it listed tons of options, of which I understood only
> one -- unless you specify a filesystem it will format it ext2. Clearly I
> need it to be FAT32, but the man page didn't give the syntax for that
> parameter. Anyone know a more complete tutorial on formatting commands?

What does 'ls -l /dev/sda*' show?

Example:

   Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 30401 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
   /dev/sda1             1      5200  41768968+  83  Linux
   /dev/sda2         30264     30394   1052257+  83  Linux
   /dev/sda3         30395     30401     56227+  82  Linux swap
   /dev/sda4          5201     30263 201318547+   f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)

   /dev/sda5          5201     30263 201318516    b  Win95 FAT32
<http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FAT32?action=edit>?
<http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FAT32?action=edit>

Jon

--