[PLUG] Thunderbird behavior

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Mon May 8 05:09:45 UTC 2006

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Michael M. wrote:
>> Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
>>> Do any of you t-bird users know some other place from which startup
>>> behavior is controlled and/or what you call this "feature"?
>
>> There's a preference pane item (Edit=>Preferences) under "General"
>> called "Thunderbird Start Page" (which, IMO, is an odd thing to call
>> it, just 'cause I don't think of an email program as having "pages"
>> in the same way, say, a web browser does -- but whatever).  I have
>> never changed that setting from the default, but that should be where
>> you can control what Tbird shows on start-up.  The default on my
>> install is:
>> chrome://messenger/content/start.xhtml
>
> That's for something different. When I check that box, I get a
> "Welcome to Mozilla Thunderbird!" web page in the pane that displays
> the contents of a selected message. It has links to various pages at
> mozillaZine or the main mozilla page, that it brings up in Firefox.
>
>> As for connecting and downloading mail, that's done on a per account
>> basis, so you need to go to Edit=>Account Settings and adjust the
>> server settings from there.  It's the same setting you mention --
>> "Check for new messages at startup."
>
> I understand that, and for awhile I had T-bird set up to handle more
> than one account. But it always used to start up with a list of
> folders in the left pane, and a list of messages in the top-right
> pane. Now, it starts up with the list of folders in the left pane, and
> a single pane on the right with what you get if you click on the
> account name at the top of the list of folders.
>
> I'm trying to have Inbox selected automatically on startup.

Don't know what to tell you, because that's exactly what happens when I
start up Tbird:  list of folders on the left, with "Inbox" for my
default account pre-selected; list of messages in the Inbox on the
right.  I don't use the preview pane (that is, I keep it closed), so for
me it's just left & right, not left & top right/bottom right.  I have
only two accounts -- my default is one that connects to my (remote) IMAP
mail server; the other is just "Local Folders."  Tbird is configured to
connect to the server at startup and sync.

Maybe double-check and make sure you have designated a default account
-- i.e, the one whose Inbox you want displayed?  Otherwise, there are
some startup settings in about:config you might try fiddling with, but
your guess is as good as mine as to what setting might have the desired
effect.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson