[PLUG] US in open source backlash

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Mon May 8 05:59:54 UTC 2006

rmannon at comcast.net wrote:
> Just stumbled across this.  Really kind of sad in my eyes.  To me, it seems like once again it's not about knowing.  It's all about the money here in the US.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/04/wcit_open_source/

Ok,, it's Sunday and getting late, so maybe my reading comprehension
skills are taking a break, but can someone explain this?:

"Legal fears also seem on the rise with regard to open source software,
according to panel moderator and attorney Hank Jones. He has seen major
acquisitions delayed or cancelled after pursuers put the software assets
of their target under the microscope. The "increased scrutiny that is
now occurring" has started to turn up some horror stories, Jones said.
In particular, companies have discovered that assets claimed as
proprietary often end up having plenty of code pinched from various open
source projects."

How is that a problem for open source development?  If the acquisition
targets are committing fraud (by claiming assets they don't have -- in
this case, claiming proprietary software assets that are, in fact,
violating other's copyrights), then that's a problem with these
companies' proprietary software development methods and models, not with
open source development.  Wouldn't it seem that this kind of thing
should be an argument in favor of open source development, in part
because open source development removes the temptation to claim assets
one doesn't own?

Fraud is fraud, whatever development model you're talking about.  If a
company is misrepresenting its assets and open source development makes
it easier to catch them before investors pump money into the company, I
would think that's a good thing.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson