[PLUG] Forced fsck

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Tue May 9 03:49:10 UTC 2006

Michael M. wrote:

> You mean BSD doesn't force an fsck if you're using ext3?  Or BSD
> doesn't, in general?  I thought that the lack of fsck's in FreeBSD with
> UFS is owing to softupdates, which (as I understand it) head off the
> problems fsck's are supposed to fix.  Don't softupdates write the
> metadata out always and keep the file system in an incorruptible (i.e.,
> by a power outage) state?

I mean in general, FreeBSD and OpenBSD in my own use doesn't force an
fsck on a reboot unless the volume wasn't marked clean such as in the
case of a power outage.  To put it another way, and to the best of my
knowledge, the BSD's do not force an fsck on reboots just for safety's
sake when all is well.

As for keeping a file system in an incorruptible state, well, eventually
something bad enough can happen.  My old web server hard drive sits next
to me as a reminder. :(

> Maybe I'm behind the times on the status of file system support in
> FreeBSD, but I thought that it supported reading and writing to an ext3
> partition only in non-journaled mode.  I want to find out more about
> this anyway, because I'm still interested in trying FreeBSD.

You're more up on file systems than I am, and I run native file systems
to the respective OS's I use, so I can't speak of Linux extX under BSD.

--
- m0gely
http://quake2.telestream.com/