[PLUG] Man pages rock! (OK, sometimes, maybe)

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Tue May 9 04:57:52 UTC 2006

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Now, for my next learning experience I'm going to see if I can figure
> out how to tell if /media/thumbdrive is the thumbdrive or just the
> mount point. Like, dragging files there with Konqueror or anything else
> doesn't display any difference. They appear there whether they were
> copied just to the folder or to the device, and there is no difference
> in the way they appear in the GUI. That was the whole problem --
> something should have told me "look dumbass, you're just copying the
> files to the mount point, not to the device because you're so stupid
> you never mounted the device."
so that Ubuntu will display them on the desktop when mounted. That would
be with the default Gnome environment anyway; I'm not sure whether it
would be different with Kubuntu or Xubuntu. But if you had created your
mount point under /mnt (say, /mnt/thumbdrive instead of
/media/thumbdrive), would Konqueror have let you copy files there if the
drive wasn't actually mounted?

I don't have a USB stick nor do I use Konqueror -- I'm just curious
whether you'd have had the same issue if you used /mnt. I know I found
Ubuntu's way of doing things a little confusing because I am used to
thinking of /mnt as the place for mounting removable media and storage.
I thought that Linux file system hierarchy standard had decreed it so.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson