[PLUG] Forced fsck

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue May 9 15:52:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 20:49 -0700, m0gely wrote:

> I mean in general, FreeBSD and OpenBSD in my own use doesn't force an
> fsck on a reboot unless the volume wasn't marked clean such as in the
> case of a power outage.  To put it another way, and to the best of my
> knowledge, the BSD's do not force an fsck on reboots just for safety's
> sake when all is well.

BSD expected you to periodically check your filesystems, but did not
traditionally implement a mechanism to remind, let alone force, you to
do so.  In fact, SMM:1, "Installing and Operating 4.4BSD" recommends
checking file systems EVERY WEEK or so.  (pg 51, sect 6.3 "Filesystem
checks, backups, and disaster recovery")  Now, obviously no one checks
filesystems every week and filesystem stability has improved
considerably in the 13 years since that was written.  But periodic
maintenance has always been expected.

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bsd/lite2/smm.html

Wil
--