[PLUG] Forced fsck

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue May 9 16:57:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, 09 May 2006 09:00:05 -0700
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc> dijo:

> > 2) I just ordered a new 80 GB 7200 rpm hard disk for my laptop. Should
> > I put ext3 on it, or might something else be better?

> ext3 will give you the least headaches.  If you were experienced admin
> and had an application that required something the other filesystems
> might provide, it might warrant it.  Otherwise, stick with the
> mainstream.

>From everything I have read I think you are right about ext3. That's what I will use, then.

Regarding the forced filesystem checks, the consensus seems to be that they are not really necessary with ext3 unless the system is shut down dirty. Unfortunately, that happens to me a lot. About once a week I lock up the gnome shell and am left with no mouse or keyboard. As far as I know Linux is still running just fine underneath, but since I can't get to it I have no choice but to hit the power button.

In the many years that I have used Windows NT-2000 on my desktop I have experienced that only three or four times. But when it happens Windows *always* forces a filesystem check on rebooting. However, it never forces a filesystem check otherwise. It seems to me that this might be the proper strategy for me on my Ubuntu laptop -- turn it off, but make it happen if Linux was shut down dirty. Now I need to figure out how to use tune2fs to make that happen. Later today I'll have time to read the man page and google and stuff.

And I also need to figure out another issue -- how to move my existing system to the new hard disk when it arrives. I'm sure there must be utilities. The existing hard disk is 60 GB and I have an external 60 GB USB pocket drive that I have been using for backups. So I have appropriate hardware. I just need to figure out what utilities I need and how to use them.