[PLUG] mixing netmasks

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Wed May 10 13:45:37 UTC 2006

Somebody I know is proposing to mix netmasks on the same physical
network.  That is to say all machines that are supposed to talk to each
other (servers and clients of those servers) would be in 10.1.1.0/24.
Engineering machines (prototypes, machines under test) would be in
10.1.0.0/16 in the 10.1.2 range and engineering workstations, which
needed to talk to the servers and the test macnines would be in the
10.1.1.0 range with a netmask of 255.255.0.0

I told him that that was a bad idea, and I think it would cause
problems.  Am I talking through my hat again? (most of the machines on
the 10.1.1.0/24 net are M$ boxen and most of the engineering
workstations are Linux.
--
Brian Beattie   LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
beattie at beattie-home.net | It's about dealing with the consequences."