[PLUG] Restore deleted file on Samba share (ext2, RH 7.0)

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sun May 14 22:55:33 UTC 2006

Mel wrote:

> Did you empty the Recycle Bin on the Win98 machine? If not, I think you
> have the option to restore the file.

Thanks for the thought, but Win98 doesn't store deleted files in the
Recycle Bin if those files were on another machine. There is an updated
version of Samba that adds that capability, but I have not installed it.

Once deleted, they are "gone" in the sense that they are not visible to
the file system utilities, like Explorer. However, just as in Windows,
they are sitting there on the drive unchanged, but just unreferenced. I
don't work at that level often enough to remember what Linux calls the
little boxes on the hard drive that hold parts of files and, more
importantly, how to look at them and reclaim them before they are reused
for some other file. Even back in the days of DOS, there was a Norton
tool to recover erased files simply by changing the first character in
the filename from (something that meant unused) back to what it used to
be. There's a similar concept in Linux (although not quite that simple)
but I can't remember what it's called so I can go read the man page
about how to recover the deleted files.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens