[PLUG] Blu-Ray

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Fri May 19 16:56:01 UTC 2006

Christian Bewley wrote:

> m0gely,
>
> What is wrong with the company?

Heh, where have you been?  This news was on all the major news sites and
in many newspapers and magazines like 'USA Today'.  Google for 'Sony
Rootkit' if you want more.  What is more pathetic is Sony's attempt at a
fix, which was no attempt at all.  And if you go to an actual Sony
store, these CD's are still sold there.

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004145.php

That company is pure evil, and Blue Ray is only going to further help
them.  Even if I did buy Sony products I wouldn't touch this new drive
given the current info out on it.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/08/10/blu/index.html

Notable quote from the tgdaily link:

"This controversial technology would require that disc players maintain
permanent connections to content providers via the Internet, making it
possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification
process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort of
"self-destruct code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM
"update" that would actually render the player useless..."

So go ahead and support that kind of corporation if you want.  I won't. =]

--
- m0gely
http://quake2.telestream.com/