[PLUG] Most Useful Format For Scanned Images

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 19 18:01:38 UTC 2006

   OK, scannerholics. I've a question for you. The colors of scanned
photographs is way off, and I know that The GIMP is capable of correcting
them. (Note: the software has the capabilities, I don't -- yet -- have the
relevant abilities.) My question is in what format should the scanned image
be saved to facilitate manipulating it with The GIMP?

   For giggles, I scanned a photo specifying the file format as .png. When
opened in The GIMP, I could not find the sub-menu under Image that would
allow me to adjust colors, brightness, or contrast. For that matter, I could
not find that menu choice anywhere in version 2.2.8 with that format loaded.

   What sayeth you all?

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |          Accelerator