[PLUG] fluke IR189USB support?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri May 19 20:08:22 UTC 2006

I am looking at capturing data from one of these nice Fluke 189
Digital Multimeters.  This particular one has an infrared interface
and an optional cable to connect to a USB port so that you can
interrogate the device for its current reading (our data collection
protocol currently has us entering an unstable value by hand, which is
proving to be quite tedious).

           ir        ir    usb+---------------+
 [Fluke189]-( ~~~~~~ )------[=| laptop        |

Does anyone have experience with this cable, and do you know if it
works with recent linux kernels.  It is probably some kind of
usb-serial device inside, but I haven't had my hands on one yet (got
one on order).  I've found the protocol for querying the device, so it
really just boils down to the details of being able to talk across the
link.

TIA.

seniorr at aracnet.com