[PLUG] Dynamic DNS Stuff

linux at frankhunt.com linux at frankhunt.com
Tue May 23 10:49:42 UTC 2006

I am using Comcast cable modem with a Linksys WRT54G router and want to
use DDNS for web and email.  I have opened up ports 80 and 25 and mapped
them to my web/email server NAT'd IP.  How can I test the email part
without first setting up the DDNS service?  The web works fine at
http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn to a dummy main page.  Shouldn't I be able to send
email to user@[nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn] ?  My MTA (postfix/spamassassin) is up and
running and I can send mail locally, but when sending email to the IP, I
get the following in the sending side log:

connect to nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn[nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]: server dropped connection
without sending the initial SMTP greeting (port 25)

Nothing in the receiving side log.  Ideas?

Frank Hunt
Befuddled SysAdmin
Sterling Heights, MI