[PLUG] OpenBSD sysjail announcement

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Tue May 23 13:51:55 UTC 2006

Sveiki PLUGinieki!

Some of you may be interested in a project I have been working on
with a developer here in Riga while in voluntary exile.

It is a more or less drop-in replacement for FreeBSD jail but using
Systrace on OpenBSD. This can give you either an improved chroot or
system virtualization without surrendering significant system
resources to Xen, UserModeLinux, VMWare and the like.

I welcome any experienced OpenBSD users (or frustrated FreeBSD users)
to try it, punch holes in it and let me know how we can improve it
prior to official release.

http://sysjail.bsd.lv

 From the web page:

sysjail is a userland virtualisation system for operating systems
supporting the systrace library. It is developed on and currently
supports OpenBSD. The first generation of sysjail is as close to a
drop-in replacement for FreeBSD's jail subsystem as permitted. As
with a jail, processes within a sysjail are disallowed resources
belonging to the system proper, known as the "host" system, or other
sysjail instances. While sysjail currently behaves as an OpenBSD
implementation of jail, it has the potential to provide significant
auditing, profiling and debugging tools allowing full auditing of
intercepted system calls, run-time modification and extension of
policies, etc. The sysjail sources are released mainly under
OpenBSD's 3-part license.

Please say "hello" to FUP and have a Swagat lunch special for me.

Take care,

Michael Dexter