[PLUG] Dynamic DNS Stuff

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue May 23 15:13:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 03:49:42 -0700 (PDT), linux at frankhunt.com wrote:
> I am using Comcast cable modem with a Linksys WRT54G router and want to
> use DDNS for web and email.  I have opened up ports 80 and 25 and mapped
> them to my web/email server NAT'd IP.  How can I test the email part
> without first setting up the DDNS service?  The web works fine at
> http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn to a dummy main page.  Shouldn't I be able to send
> email to user@[nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn] ?

most smtp's will never send to numeric ip addresses as a precaution. if you really need to do this then you need to setup an smtp that explicitly allows this and will relay mail for you - you probably don't want to go there.

If you can get some dyndns service up you might be able to use the @host.dyndnsservice.whatever hostname instead, providing MX records are setup OK.

Auke