[PLUG] Checkbook Applications

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Wed May 24 06:42:06 UTC 2006

On 5/23/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    GnuCash has serious problems on current Slackware distributions
> (unfortunately), so I switched to kmymoney2. This application is unstable
> (the date keeps changing to future years; cannot type a date but must use the
> spin control individually on year, month, day; transaction type reverts to
> the last one used regardless of what's entered; checks to pay credit card
> bills are forced to be transfers rather than checks; and it's got the ugliest
> UI I've encountered in any software installed here) and I'm looking for a
> replacement.
>
>    Chris Browne's ol' CBB (CheckBook Balancer) is still available, but seems
> to have had no activity since 2000 or 2001. Is anyone using it?
>
>    I don't want any online banking or other stuff, just plain ol' double-entry
> bookkeeping for checking, savings, and liabilities such as mortgages. Anyone
> using something they like and will recommend?

I personally use Moneydance and have been happy with it, but it is not
open-source (it is Java though, which met my cross-platform needs).
Free trial if you want to check it out.  Best ~$30 I ever spent.

That said, Gnucash for Gnome2 (which likely fixes the problems on most
distros with dependencies) is well on its way, with a public beta
(1.9.6) available.  See
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_there_a_version_for_Gnome2.3F__When_will_2.0_be_out.3F
for more on the ongoing port to Gnome2.

Jason