[PLUG] ISP/Static IP for SOHOs

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Wed May 24 05:03:17 UTC 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 4:13 PM, Robert McIntosh wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to hear from some PLUGers about ISPs that provide leased
> static IPs
> for small home businesses.  Please provide rough price/month, service
> quality (customer and uptime), and any other comments.

You've already seen their prices, but just to chime in:

SpiritOne/Aracnet(same company now) rocks. \\m// (sorry, the emoticon
fits, cliched metal fingers and all)

Why do they rock?

1. Local presence. As in "drive into their office park location near
the sunset highway Zoo exit" presence.
2. Ubuntu disk packs in the "lobby".
3. "Promise to pay"... I've bonked on my payments, called them up, and
got an active internet connection in *seconds,* provided that I
promised I would drop by the next day with cash/check etc.
4. They take cash.
5. They have a really hot, cute, gothie techie(?) girl. Cute enough to
make me not upset about paying late, as I sometimes  see her head for a
smoke break while I'm paying. (Okay, not relevant *at all*, but
*damn*..)
6. Zero downtime (besides bonking, see item 3) for my user connections
in one year. This is nice, as in Atlanta, I saw as much as 45-200
minutes per *month* with a local ISP there.
7. The "geeks" (in the worship sense, not the derogatory sense) are
both clueful, and honest. When they don't know what you mean by "could
the DSLAM connection be unplugged", they do not ask you to do something
silly like "use the Windows network wizard". Instead, they pass around
their knowledge, and *personally* verify the circuit, ATM connection,
etc.
8. They have VMS servers on their internal network. This means they
have *serious* greybeards (in the worship sense, not the derogatory
sense) around, even if they're in their 20's.

-Bop
--
4245 NE Alberta Ct.
Portland, OR 97218