[PLUG] Checkbook Applications

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 24 13:11:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Jason R. Martin wrote:

> I personally use Moneydance and have been happy with it, but it is not
> open-source (it is Java though, which met my cross-platform needs). Free
> trial if you want to check it out. Best ~$30 I ever spent.

Jason,

   Thanks for the information. I had looked at Moneydance years ago and found
it to be highly finicky on which version of the jre it would accept. Then it
died as a project. I recall reading that someone bought it and was working at
recuscitating it. Glad you like it.

> That said, Gnucash for Gnome2 (which likely fixes the problems on most
> distros with dependencies) is well on its way, with a public beta (1.9.6)
> available. See
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_there_a_version_for_Gnome2.3F__When_will_2.0_be_out.3F
> for more on the ongoing port to Gnome2.

   I liked Gnucash. It did everything I wanted or needed, worked smoothly from
the keyboard without need for the pointy device, and produced the reports I
needed for my accountant very nicely. Yesterday, I looked at their web site,
didn't see support for gnome2 (but didn't look at the wiki). There are still
a ton of dependencies, but I will probably put up with those for a better
working solution than _I_ find kmm2 to be.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |          Accelerator