[PLUG] SuSE 10 on Acer Laptop

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat May 27 02:09:08 UTC 2006

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I have an Acer Aspire 1640Z laptop (1.7 GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM, 80GB
> Hard Drive, DVD Burner). Naturally, it came with XP installed.
> Eventually, I'd like to end up with SuSE 10 and VMWare running XP. (For
> the foreseeable future I need to be able to run IE for work.)

Thanks for all the related experiences. I've been out all day and find
that the download is still running with another 7:16 to go. While a
successful day, it has been a long one. I'll just let the download
continue overnight and look at burning the dvd tomorrow.

Thanks for the warning about burning an image. There are third party
tools on the machine which, with one exception, I haven't tried. Acer
put a version of Ghost on the machine. They have me use it to back up
the initial install, after going through the first time startup. They
also have some login control in the BIOS. Looks like a DOS screen when I
first turn it on, and it asks for my password.

I have an older copy of Knoppix I got from you, Keith, at a clinic in
May, 2004. It starts, but hangs shortly into the process. I couldn't get
around it with out taking out the battery! I should probably download
and burn a newer version. ;-)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens