[PLUG] Digital camera -- wrong choice?

Piet van Weel pmvw at wbcable.net
Sun May 28 17:13:35 UTC 2006

I full heartedly agree that dealing exclusively with reading the cards
is the best option instead of hooking up the camera to the computer.
When I photograph concerts, I will routinely swap memory cards in and
out of my camera. (Canon 20D w/ BG-2 and a 70-200 2.8 IS) Then after the
fact I drop all the photos onto my laptop. (The last concert, Caedmon's
Call and Bebo Norman,  I shot 1026 photos!!)

With a point and shoot I wouldn't expect anybody to take that many
photographs in one sitting; likewise, I agree with Denis's statement. If
I were you I would get the camera that I want, and then get a couple of
1 gig cards. (The couple is just in case you forget to remove the photos
from one, and you want a fresh card.) If you use a laptop for a CF or SD
card reader and it doesn't have one built in; seriously take a look at
the PCMCIA card readers. My CF one reads faster than USB, doesn't hang
off the side, and there are no annoying connections that *might*, *might
not* work. (I've gone through 4 USB CF card readers.)

If you have any more questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Piet