[PLUG] Ipod shuffle

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun May 28 23:22:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:43:36 -0700
Bruce Kilpatrick <bakilpatrick at verizon.net> dijo:

> Does anybody here have any experience with an Ipod Shuffle.
> The box says it can play "music" sequentially or in random order.  It
> does not say anything about playing...say...an mp3 of the talk from a
> PLUG meeting...

The Shuffle has received less than hearty reviews. It's the least liked
of all the iPod models. Having said that, it should work just fine with
Linux. I have a 60 GB iPod and my only big problem has been mounting
and unmounting. (But I have that with everything. I have trouble
seating myself in my easy chair.) Your Shuffle will play any mp3 just
fine.

As it turns out I have been having a conversation with someone on the
Ubuntu 64-bit forum regarding mounting his Shuffle. He finally got it
"sorted" (Londoner). As far as using it, just mount the thing, open
gtkpod, and transfer mp3s to it. The only caveat is being damn sure you
unmount it before unplugging it. Failure to do so is a good way to
upgooberate the Apple iTunes database. If that happens you get to go
find a Windows box with iTunes installed on it, because that's the only
way you're going to be able to reformat and restore the database. Got
the t-shirt on that one.

Oh, and be sure you save your mp3s somewhere that you can back them up
from. Sooner or later you *will* screw up your Shuffle.