[PLUG] BLOG Server Software

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon May 29 21:39:27 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   No. When I type "http://www.appl-ecosys.com/" into firefox here I get my
> home page. This ain't Oklahoma, is it?

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Brent Rieck wrote:
> And http://appl-ecosys.com/ takes you to the default apache page.

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 10:32:34AM -0700, Sandy Herring wrote:
> You need to ask Aracnet to add a CNAME to your zone record which has
> your domain without the www prefix. It'll take Sean two minutes.

This is an apache configuration problem.  My browser asks DNS for
"appl-ecosys.com" (note the LACK of www prefix ) and gets Rich's
IP address, 216.99.206.23 .  Rich already has the proper CNAME set up.
The browser then sends an HTTP request for "appl-ecosys.com" to
the apache server, which responds with the default apache page,
because apache only knows how to respond to "www.appl-ecosys.com".
                                             ^^^
So the proper thing to do is to edit httpd.conf ( I think located
at /etc/apache/httpd.conf for Slackware ) and set up ServerName
and ServerAlias properly in the right VirtualHost stanza.
For kl-ic.com, I have:

<VirtualHost 207.210.219.119:80>
   ServerName kl-ic.com
   ServerAlias *.kl-ic.com
   DocumentRoot /home/www/kl-ic
</VirtualHost>

So if I ask for "banana.kl-ic.com" (which I have a CNAME for),
apache will serve the default kl-ic.com page.  If I ask for
"apple.kl-ic.com" *the browser* will tell me it cannot be found,
because I have no CNAME for that - DNS cannot find a machine
named apple.kl-ic.com.  Without a CNAME, the browser never gets
as far as my apache server.

Note, I use VirtualHost because I have a complex site;  about
10 domains and 20 different index pages served (like wikis
and subversion trees, as well as some intranet stuff).  It
"jest grew".  It is good to start out using Virtual Hosts if
you might be expanding in the future, or merely if you want to
separate your personal and professional pages.

After getting httpd.conf fixed, just type "apachectl graceful"
and all will be well.