[PLUG] HELP! Totally hosed my laptop! X won't start!

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue May 30 01:11:55 UTC 2006

I got a notice on the Scriibus e-list that there was a new version,
which included a new repository for .deb files. Thinking that it might
help me get the latest version installed on my Ubuntu-64 Breezy
laptop, I opened Synaptic and tried to add the repository. That
didn't work, but in the process I noticed that there were additional
repositories for Ubuntu Updates and for Security fixes. These
repositories had not been enabled. I wondered why I had not been
seeing the little "new updates available" icon for a long time. So I
added them, then updated Synaptic. Following that I saw the "new
updates available" icon. I closed all running programs and then
clicked on it. It listed 230 packages. I decided to go ahead and let
it do the updates. BIG MISTAKE!

Fifteen minutes later it finished. I decided to reboot just to make
sure everything was cool. Normally when my computer boots it
lists all the things it is doing, but it does so in "normal" mode or
something. This time it listed everything in like "verbose" mode.
Miles of messages scrolled past. And then, just as I thought it was
about to go graphical, I got a horrible error message: FAILED TO
START X WINDOWS SYSTEM, Unable to locate NVIDIA driver.

I found myself at a command line. No GUI. Note that I installed the
Nvidia proprietary driver some time ago, and it had been working
fine. But I also noticed something in one of the 230 packages
referring to Nvidia. Undoubtedly that is what caused the current
problem. I wish there was a "rollback" option to undo the updates. I
tried rebooting one more time, but got the same results.

If I were a command line guru I bet I could fix it. But I know next to
nothing of the command line. Plus I have no idea why the Nvidia
driver is not where it is supposed to be, nor do I even know where it
is supposed to be or what it is called.

At this point I am thinking about my old hard drive. Those who were
at the last clinic may recall that I replaced my hard drive then. My
old one is sitting here and it would work fine if I just stuck it in. I do
have some new homework files created in the past week or so, but
I bet I could figure out how to mount my other USB drive that I use
for backups and copy them over. Then I could copy them back to
the old drive after swapping. But that is not the best solution. A
better idea would be to fix what is wrong with the "updated"
installation.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? I'm really pretty desperate
here!