[PLUG] HELP! Totally hosed my laptop! X won't start!

Steven Susbauer stupendoussteve at gmail.com
Tue May 30 02:48:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006, John Jordan wrote:

> On 29 May 2006, at 18:35, Steven Susbauer wrote:
>
> > You probably just need to install the proprietary driver again. The
> > module needs to be rebuilt every time a new kernel is installed.
>
>>From the error message, that makes sense. Now I need to figure
> out how to install it from the command line.

It shouldn't be too hard.

First step, get the driver:

wget
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8762/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run

Next, install the driver. Should only require typing "sh
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run"

You might have to be root to run it. It should give you some output if
something doesn't go right. You shouldn't need to change any
configuration, and you should be able to start the server after running
modprobe nvidia (or rebooting if nvidia was set in autoload).