[PLUG] HELP! Totally hosed my laptop! X won't start!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue May 30 03:22:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006 19:48:47 -0700 (PDT)
Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve at gmail.com> dijo:

> >>From the error message, that makes sense. Now I need to figure
> > out how to install it from the command line.
>
> It shouldn't be too hard.

Actually, I am back up and running already.

I posted the same message on the Ubuntu-64 forum and a kind soul told me how to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change the line that says "nvidia" to "nv," thus switching back to the open source driver. Took me a few tries because he gave me instructions for vi, but I couldn't figure out how to save from vi. He said to save and exit with Esc, but that did nothing. However, he also said I could use nano, and nano had a menu thingy on the bottom telling me how to save and exit. I successfully edited the file and saved it. When I rebooted the GUI is back!!!!!! Yay!!

However, the next thing I noticed was that I got a lot of error messages while booting about ndiswrapper. Going into System > Administration > Networking I quickly noticed that wifi was not there any more. <Sigh>

But this time I had the answer at my fingertips. You see, last time I went through this I had a lot of e-mails back and forth from people on the Linux R3000 e-list until I finally got it working. So when I finished getting it working I took all the e-mails, concatenated them into a big document, and posted it on the R3000 wiki page. So all I did this time was go back to the page and walk through my instructions. I am happy to report that wifi with ndiswrapper is now working again. <Whew>

Now all I need to do is get the proprietary Nvidia driver back so I can play DVDs. But I have the web page with instructions for that bookmarked, so I should have no problem.

Man, this stuff is sometimes SO scary! Thanks for the help!