[PLUG] Insuring that server comes up in working order

Lancashire, Pete plancashire at ci.portland.or.us
Tue May 30 16:17:40 UTC 2006

if the devices that you depend on being there first
have a network connection, you can test via things
like SNMP for their status. The UPS's that don't
have their own network connection sometimes have
serial<->SNMP options, and there are serial port
drivers as well. some other devices get tricky,
such as CSU/DSUs. There I use to test for something
upstream from them such as a router.

in init.d or equiv. make your script be one that runs
before those that depend on the other stuff being
up. I'm not sure about Linux, but maybe one way to have a 'dont want to wait
flag' set via grub, and make it one of the
options in grubs boot screen

-pete