[PLUG] Insuring that server comes up in working order

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Tue May 30 16:58:22 UTC 2006

Travis Spencer (travislspencer at gmail.com) typed this ...
> I'm in charge on an FC4 box here at work but don't have control of
> anything else on my employer's network (UPS, other servers, etc.)
> Every once and a while the power goes out and taking my machine, DHCP,
> and NIS with it.  My server comes up faster than the others making it
> inaccessible till I can physically go to it and reboot it.  Does
> anyone have a suggestion on how to insure that my server comes up in
> working order?  My only idea is to write an init script that sleeps
> for 5 minutes that can be bypassed somehow when the extra wait time
> isn't needed.  Any thoughts?

By 'working order' you mean that it gets networking set up, right?

You can use ifplugd to make sure that everything that needs networking
gets started when the network is available.

If you have a budget for this, use a network power switch and have the
DHCP or NIS server hit the switch to turn your server on after it has
initialized.

--Kurt