[PLUG] install debian from an image file on server

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue May 30 17:35:08 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 9:18 am, Christian Bewley wrote:
> Here's the situation:
> Many donated newer pc's and laptops need to have linux installed, but I
> would like to have an image of a current perfectly working laptop with
> wifi and all that jazz in perfect working condition first. So, what I
> need to know is:
> 1. How can I make an image file of the entire drive that can be put on a
> server (running linux) and installed on many pc's?
> 2. How do I install from the image?
> 3. do i need a special boot disk to accomplish this?
> 4. should i make a local repository? Or will the local image be just fine?

May I modestly suggest a recent series I wrote on using Debian pre-seeding.

Automate Linux Installations with Debian Pre-Seeding
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsysm/article.php/3606721

Automate Linux Installations with Debian Pre-Seeding (Part 2)
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3608361

The traditional tool for Debian is FAI, which is wickedly difficult to learn.
Using pre-seed files is a lot easier, and accomodates diverse hardware
nicely.