[PLUG] Networking commands: debian => sysv: translation

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed May 31 15:22:04 UTC 2006

Dan Young wrote:
> On 5/31/06, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Dan Young wrote:

>> routes
>> >

>> > The magic all happens in /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts. The
>> > routing config isn't really well documented, but it uses the "/bin/ip
>> > route" syntax. Not sure about the "ip rule" routing policy parts. The
>> > rest should be something like this:
>>
>> Dan.  Thank you.  It was the route-ethx information I missed seeing.
>>
>> Well a closer look shows the script is suppose to be in a non-existant
>> directory.  '/etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/' doesn't exist on any of
>> the ( Redhat/Fedora/CentOS ) systems I've checked ( so far. )
>

> Oops, my transcribing was bad. Should be in:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

I was thinking that but then couldn't find any route-* files ( assuming
there would be at least one. )  I also was thinking it was bsd vs. sysv
issue and I mis-communicated what I was trying to do.

>> I can't even find how those files would be called.  I do remember from
>> years ago there being a route in init.d but a quick check on a couple of
>> systems doesn't find it any more.  The rpm database shows an iproute.
>>
>> Any other suggestions or places to look?  I'll start the Google searches
>> now that I have a clue as to what I'm looking for.
>

> The route config file doesn't exist by default, and was new as of RH9:
> http://www.akadia.com/services/redhat_static_routes.html

Thanks for the link.  Seems I've not had to do any multiple route stuff
for many years -- 2003 was the change.

Rod