[PLUG] /bin/loadkeys Runs Only As Root

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 1 14:17:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, tonyr wrote:

> I am not Slackware conversant, but the little bit of reading that I did
> leads me to believe that there are two paths to keymap modification. One
> is at startup, through the *rc* process, either via /*etc/rc.d/rc.keymap*
> or *rc.local*, using *loadkeys* to read a keymap file in a known location.
> In this case *loadkeys *would indeed be running as *root, *and so would
> succeed.

Tony,

   Yes, I have been changing the ctrl and cap lock keys for many years now by
using loadkeys and ~/.keymap. It works well on other systems, but there must
be something with the notebook that's getting in the way. For reference, all
systems run the same distribution release and kernel.

> The other way is through an X session startup, in which case the keymap
> modifications should be in *~/.Xmodmap*, who's format, I believe, is not
> the same as a keymap file read by *loadkeys*.

   X is different, as you note. It reads ~/.Xmodmap and that works flawlessly
in the same machine that's decided to be recalcitrant at the console.

> None of my searching turned up an example where a local user's
> *~/.keymap* (or ~/.<anyfoo> for that matter) was used, in Slackware
> or anywhere else. I'm gonna guess that you've been using the
> ~/.keymap method for a relatively long time, and maybe even have
> a *loadkeys* command in your .login or .profile or .bashrc or .cshrc
> or whatever your shell startup file is.

   It's in ~/.bash_profile so it's always running -- when it works, that is
-- in each console.

   I'll figure out a kludge if I can't fix the problem.

Thanks,