[PLUG] Microsoft and SuSE/Novell sign agreement

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 03:05:57 UTC 2006

# from Keith Lofstrom
# on Thursday 02 November 2006 05:03 pm:

>Wow ... and ... Wow.   Time to plan that ski vacation in hell...

Better plan it for a few years out.  And even then, get refundable
tickets.

There's nothing new here.  Having watched the press conference, I'm
mostly hearing that MS feels entitled to extract licensing fees from
Linux users (likely by virtue of their patent on the backslash and
similar "innovations".)

What puzzles me is how this doesn't put Novell on the wrong side of the
GPL.  It implies that only licensed SUSE customers are granted a
license to use this supposed MS IP.  If this is the case, I would
assume that this license is not universally transferable, which sounds
like the imposition of restrictions on GPL'd code not owned by Novell
-- hence voiding their right to use said code.  Guess we'll see what
the courts think about this having-and-eating-not-your-cake business.

The other fun fact is their claim that they'll grant a covenant to
"individual" open-source developers.  That means as long as you're
writing free software and not running a company, they will be happy to
steal your work and not sue you as soon as they file a patent for it.
If you have money to extract, I guess that's a different story.

--Eric
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
--Albert Einstein