[PLUG] USB hard drives and Linux

Tony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Sun Nov 5 01:12:42 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 November 2006 16:48, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I want to buy an external USB hard drive to use for quick backups on my
> Linux boxens- are there any Linux gotchas with these? Can I buy one without
> worrying if it's going to work on Linux?

I bought a "Fantom" 250GB external USB 2.0 drive to and my laptop, running
Linux, detected it when I plugged it in. The entire drive came formatted from
the factory as NTFS and so I shrunk the partition size down and created a 2nd
partition and made an "ext3" filesystem.

Unfortunately I need to dual-boot my laptop so I need to backup data for both
WinXP and Linux from my laptop. IIRC I was running SuSE 9.2 at the time I
made the original drive purchase and it worked flawlessly. I would guess that
any reasonable Linux distro with good USB support would work as flawlessly as
SuSE' Linux in terms of supporing a USB 2.0 drive.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at comcast.net