[PLUG] AMD64, Java, and Flash.

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sun Nov 5 04:10:31 UTC 2006

> OK, so I've built this AMD64 system (ended up getting a pretty decent deal at
> Belmont Computers, actually) and I've got two netinst discs in my hand and
> don't know which I should use.
>
> I'm pretty sure that java and flash are strict necessities on this machine.
> Does that mean that AMD64 should not be my choice?  Is that what you yahoos
> are trying to tell me?
>
> I swear, if I ever gave you half a chance...
> J.
> --

If you use amd64, you'll simply run 32-bit versions of java and possibly
flash.  This means running a 32-bit build of your browser.  Haven't
played with 64-bit debian, but in gentoo it is a no-brainer to pull in
and use 32-bit packages.  There is a mozilla and a miozilla-bin, for
example, where mozilla-bin is a precompiled 32-bit mozilla.  I imagine debian
is solid in its 32-bit emulation too.

Carlos Konstanski