[PLUG] Linux distro recommendation as a replacement for SuSE

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Sun Nov 5 05:56:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 15:56 -0800, Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 15:40 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend staying away from CentOS. I've used it, and I haven't had
> > any problems whatsoever with it, and it seems to be what it claims to be
> > -- a community-driven rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
snip
> I disagree.  Regardless of the relationship between CentOS and RHEL,
> CentOS is a very strong choice--it has the stability and familiarity of
> RHEL without the price tag

This becomes an even more interesting discussion in light of the bruhaha
around Oracle Linux, which is also a "rebuild" like CentOS. As the
CentOS developers freely admit, the tools they use to rebuild aren't the
same as the tools used by Red Hat, and this may affect compatibility /
certifiability - in terms of support for specialized software (not any
LPI/RHCE sort of tests).

But this drifts away from the topic. Remember, most all of SUSE is GPL,
and built from the same source code as Red Hat, CentOS, Debian, etc. So
if Microsoft has agreed to not sue Novell, then they have no basis for
sueing Red Hat, etc. over the same code.

But then again, IANAL.

Thanks,
Mike