[PLUG] I say "Uncle"!

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Nov 6 07:14:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Chris Genly wrote:
> In the wireless area I have never been able to get a laptop to work well
> with wireless.

I don't know nothin' 'bout this.

> In the codec area, I am tired of having to boot windows to listen to
> certain audio and video feeds.  For example I like to listen to
> zefrank.com occasionally.  But I haven't been able to get it to work on
> linux.  In windows this just works.

So, I just typed "zefrank.com" into my web browser and clicked on "the
SHOW" link at the top of the page.

A new page openned with a "click here to watch the show" box and when I
clicked there, the video buffered for a second and then started playing.
It just worked.

Of course, I have debian-multimedia.org in my apt sources and so all of my
codecs and stuff are up to date without me ever thinking about it.

> And of course the problem we are all aware of with games is that
> manufacturers write for windows and don't give a care for linux.

Yeah, if I were 15 and hadn't yet been discovered by girls, I would worry
about that.  For me, it's not a problem.

> And finally, I am getting tired of all the tinkering I have to do to
> keep things working.  I might be able to fix the codec problem with
> enough research, but I just don't want to do that anymore.

Huh.  What distribution are you running?  You shouldn't have to do any
tinkering.

> I am a proponent of platform independent software.  I write in Java, I
> use thunderbird and firefox.  I'll continue to support platform
> independence when possible.

Well, Java isn't exactly platform independent, is it?  I mean, it's just
the Java platform.

> I want Gnu/Linux and FOSS to succeed.  I hope these problems are fixed
> over time.  But for now I think I'm going to switch.  Who knows, after a
> while I may be so irritated by Windows and Microsoft that I'll switch
> back.

Well, when you stop having to tinker with Windows to get it to do things
like recursively rename files and directories or search for a single word
of text in a few thousand files or update the ID3 tags of a several
thousand MP3s based on the directories into which they've been sorted, let
me know.  Maybe I'll switch, too.

Oh, and also when they stop thinking information is property.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin
     jeme at brelin.net