[PLUG] Linux distro recommendation as a replacement for SuSE

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Nov 6 14:17:01 UTC 2006

drew wymore wrote:
>> I've built several systems "from scratch" (you've got to bootstrap it
>> somehow, of course, so you're probably starting with a simple development
>> Debian environment and then building a bootable system inside that which
>> then becomes the primary system so you can delete the binary
>> installation)
>> and ran them for several years.
>>
>> They were a bit of a hassle to maintain, but doing it certainly teaches
>> you a lot about the system architecture and gives you respect for an
>> elegant and well-ordered package management system.
>>
>> > Think incredibly compact webserver.
>>
>> Yeah, well, it turns out... not so much.
>>
>> A bare Debian system with just the packages you'd like to have installed
>> is way smaller than a "from scratch" system because you don't have any of
>> the development utilities or libraries.  Also, they're faster and easier
>> to build.

Actually, you can probably get a LAMP stack, including a primitive GUI,
on a 128 MB stick using a compressed filesystem. Damn Small Linux was
born at 50 MB for just the kernel and desktop. I can't imagine needing
more than another 78 MB for Apache, MySQL and PHP. Now where your web
apps will store their data is another story ...

Another option for a small system would be a Gentoo "stage3" install. I
forget how big that is, but the whole toolset fits on a compressed 50 MB
business card CD. It is command-line only, though -- no GUI.

Also, there's LAMPPIX:

http://lamppix.tinowagner.com/en/mini/