[PLUG] SQL Syntax

Mark A. Turner turner at glsuite.com
Mon Nov 6 17:45:04 UTC 2006

> So I asked here and, after a couple people responded, I changed it to
> "ORDER BY." That seemed to satisfy OOo Base. No error messages. But it
> also didn't work. The records in the IPA field are displayed in the
> control, but still in the strange random order as before. Since there
> are 105 records,  students will have to scroll up and down to find the
> correct answer, so having them in a logical order is important.
>
> Later I discovered that if you select a control in the OOo form,
> right-click on it and then on Form (instead of Control), it changes
the
> property window and you have a place where you can select the sort
> order. This is a different box frrom the Select box, in fact, it is on
> a different tab. It had a "..." button to the right, which popped up a
> list of the fields in Test_Table. I selected the Number field, and
> happily concluded that I had finally found the right button to get it
> to work. I also deleted the ORDER BY from the entry in the Data tab.
> Sadly, it still does not work. No error messages; it just doesn't
work.
> The records are still displayed in the control in the same strange
> random order.

Well based on what you have said, I would chalk this one up as an issue
with OOo forms. With most development, even if your selecting data from
a source such as a DB and your sorting the returning data in SQL, you
cant be sure that the order will be maintained in the language/data
structure that storing it for future use.

I have absolutely no experience with OOo Base so I'm afraid I cannot be
of much help there. But if OOo does keep the order of the data returned
from the DB then the ORDER BY clause is what you want, even if its not
working now it is the standard way or sorting results in SQL, remember
it.

I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but I am going to
ask anyways.

Have you googled around a little?

Good Luck
-Mark