[PLUG] Xvfb experience

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Nov 7 00:10:29 UTC 2006

Does anyone have experience using Xvfb?

We have found a Windows application that does just what we need, has
command line version and runs via Wine.

It would be called by a Catalyst ( mod_perl ) application.  The problem
is wine doesn't like not having $DISPLAY/ X Server and throws lots of
error messages.  The application works fine but we don't need the cruft
in the logs.  So the idea is we could use Xvfb.  Only problem is I've
never used it.

So the questions arise!  Can apache -- the user -- access 'X', and
how/where do I start Xvfb?

OF course the ideal situation would be to tell wine to shut up and not
worry about the display.  Hum ... maybe I should check if that can be done.

Anyway, in the mean time, and thoughts; ideas, or pointers would be great.

TIA,
Rod