[PLUG] how small will Gentoo go?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Nov 7 04:44:20 UTC 2006

hey all,

How small can you make a Gentoo installation? I want to roll my own
firewall/WAP/router Linux, and I want it to be as small as possible, and to
be easily customizable and upgradeable. Which sounds like Gentoo, does it not?
Pyramid Linux, Pebble, and other WAP Linuxes weigh in from 50-128 megabytes.
How does Gentoo compare? Here's a sample feature list:

-iptables
-openvpn
-support only for installed devices
-openssh
-stunnel
-dnsmasq
-maybe some kind of public WAP frontend like Wifidog or nocat auth
-ntpd
-the usual gnu tools and essential system administration tools, some
net tools

I want to keep it under 64 megabytes.

thanks!
--