[PLUG] Error reading block xxxx

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Nov 9 01:46:42 UTC 2006

> I burned a copy of Knoppix V 5.0 and tried to boot the machine with
> that. Unfortunately, the machine claims it couldn't find the CD, even
> though during the first moments of the boot process the BIOS reported
> the 44x CD drive to be present. Thinking I might have made another
> coaster, I tried the CD in my laptop: it boots just fine.
>
> I can think of two options at this point:
>
> 1. Edit fstab and remove the reference to the second hard drive (the one
> with the problem), let the machine boot, and then run e2fsck -c locally.
>
> or
>
> 2. Pull the second hard drive from that machine, put it in this machine
> and run e2fsck -c here.
>
> Any good reason to choose 2 over 1? It appears that 1 would be easier
> than 2. The machine with the problem drive is in the basement, and I
> have to stand on a chair to work on it. Once booted, though, I can ssh
> into it from my office, and that would be easier than taking apart two
> machines, and then putting them back together.
> --
> Regards,
> Dick Steffens

Option #1 sounds dandy, except for the old fsck version factor.

There is another option.  Use a knoppix 4.0 disk.  I find that 5.0 is a
little bit sucky.  For one thing, I've seen it fail to boot on some
machines, where a 4.0 disk works.  Another problem with 5.0 is that it
automounts your hard drive partitions read-only.  Why did they decide
that was a good idea?

I cannot find a knoppix 4.0 iso for you, unfortunately.  I wonder if a
gentoo install disk might have the necessary tools.

Carlos Konstanski