[PLUG] Error reading block xxxx

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Nov 9 14:10:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Then I remembered that the second drive is the slave on the controller
> that also has the cdrom drive, hdc.

Dick,

   I don't recall the reason why this is a bad idea, but rejumper the drives
so the hard drive is the master and the cdrom drive is the slave. You -- and
the kernel -- will be accessing the hard drive much more frequently than the
cdrom drive.

   A number of years ago I had drives set up as you do and had some problems
with them (I don't recall just what they were). Swapping the master and
slave fixed everything.