[PLUG] USB/SATA portable backup drive

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Nov 9 19:57:57 UTC 2006

Newegg got my new enclosure and drive to me in record time. Yay Newegg. (For
those of you going "hey, why don't you support our kewl local shoppes" it's
because I live in the wilds of Eastern Oregon. There are no kewl local
shoppes.)

I ordered a Rosewill RX353-S SATA enclosure. It has a cooling fan, and comes
with both USB and SATA cables. The SATA cabling includes an external rear
bracket.

I bought a Western Digital 250-gigabyte 3.0 SATA drive for the insides. Slides
right in, no problem. It seemed a bit wobbly, so I stuffed some anti-static
foam around the sides to pack it in more tightly.

Plugged it in, fired it up, made one big partition and formatted it in ext3.
Copied over a gazillion giant digital photos without a hitch. I'll use the
SATA connector and backup my LAN to this drive, the usual rsync blahblah.
SATA speeds don't much matter for network backups, but it's connected to my
photo-editing workstation, so those speeds will come in handy.

Easy peasey and fun!
--
Carla Schroder