[PLUG] WMA to ?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 06:40:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 01:05:11 -0800 (PST)
Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> dijo:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > Does anyone have experience with converting WMA to something more open
> > source that Audacity might be able to capiscere? If so, what?
>
> Weren't you just five or six seats over from me at Bill Barry's excellent
> talk about mplayer a couple of months ago?

OK, I just now finally had time to try this, and I failed. I also had
some help from someone tonight and we failed to convert the WMAs with
various tools. Several times we produced an output file, but when I
tried to play it all I got was static. My most recent attempt was with
lame:

lame --vbr-new -B
320 /home/jjj/Phonetics/WS_10008.WMA /home/jjj/Phonetics/test4.mp3

The WMA files play fine in Windows Media Player (via Crossover Office),
Mplayer, Totem, and a couple other choices. But I can't get them
properly converted to something that Audacity can play. And I do need
Audacity. It's the only app I've ever found that has the ability to
slow down playback while preserving the pitch.

Whatever is wrong is happening with all the conversion tools I am
trying. Therefore, there must be something fundamentally wrong here.
Does anyone have any ideas?