[PLUG] cups silliness

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Nov 13 16:59:42 UTC 2006

Russell> I am a cups newbie, so naturally it doesn't take much to make
Russell> me confused.  I have cups running on the various hosts on my
Russell> network, I can print local (to the printer).  I can also
Russell> submit print jobs from the clients, but for some reason the
Russell> remotely-submitted jobs just sit in the printer-local host's
Russell> queue.  Any hints on how to debug this?

Russell>   $ lpq -P dj
Russell>   dj is ready and printing
Russell>   Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
Russell>   active  russell 235     test.ps                         687104 bytes
Russell>   1st     russell 236     test.ps                         687104 bytes
Russell>   2nd     russell 237     test.ps                         687104 bytes
Russell>   3rd     russell 238     test.ps                         687104 bytes
Russell>   4th     russell 239     test.ps                         687104 bytes

I figured this out last week or so (long enough that I've already
forgotten the fine detail), thought I'd followup with the general
solution.  I may have misled (i don't remember now) on the problem
description slightly.  It is possible that printing locally was not
working afterall.

Turns out, the host that attached to the printer had its cups
configuration pointing at the printer as a network resource, rather
than as a locally connected usb printer that it was.  As soon as I
fixed that, bingo, everybody started printing.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net