[PLUG] Linux compute engine

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Nov 13 21:47:06 UTC 2006

I do a LOT of CAD simulation, mostly with proprietary apps ($$$)
designed for 32 bit X86.  I want to buy new motherboard; I want
simple and fast, I do not need fast graphics or fast ethernet or
sound or big disk or big ram any other wizzy stuff, just the best
performance on small, single-threaded 32 bit floating-point apps.
I will probably be running a RHEL4 clone OS on the machine.

What is the best way to go?  Does an Opteron or a dual-core run
32 bit single thread apps faster than a P4 or Atheron?  Given
fast processor X, which motherboard is most reliable?  Suggested
websites with reviews?

Keith