[PLUG] Linux compute engine

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Nov 14 03:40:18 UTC 2006

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I do a LOT of CAD simulation, mostly with proprietary apps ($$$)
> designed for 32 bit X86.  I want to buy new motherboard; I want
> simple and fast, I do not need fast graphics or fast ethernet or
> sound or big disk or big ram any other wizzy stuff, just the best
> performance on small, single-threaded 32 bit floating-point apps.
> I will probably be running a RHEL4 clone OS on the machine.
>
> What is the best way to go?  Does an Opteron or a dual-core run
> 32 bit single thread apps faster than a P4 or Atheron?  Given
> fast processor X, which motherboard is most reliable?  Suggested
> websites with reviews?
>
> Keith

I know the vendors of the codes you're running probably don't want to
give you benchmark results, but it won't hurt to ask. Meanwhile, given
that you are dealing with a single-threaded 32-bit app, probably
floating point intensive, I'd go with whatever has the shallowest
pipelines and the biggest cache.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/